Thursday, March 1, 2012

"The Birthday Project"

Last year, my birthday was less than ideal. We woke up really early in the morning and took Lindsay into Primary Children’s for her 2nd surgery. That day had potential to be the biggest downer of the year. However, I was amazed at how many people were beyond kind during that time. We received phone calls, texts, messages via the internet, cards in the mail, dinners at home, and meals brought to us at the hospital, gifts for all of us, visits in the hospital, people babysitting Matt, help with hospital bills, and so much more. I couldn’t believe the goodness and kindness of family, friends, acquaintances, and even perfect strangers! I promised myself that I would be a better person and try to help others more. I was trying to think of what I could do/who I could help, when I came across THIS.

Have you heard of this girl? She spent her entire birthday doing random acts of kindness, and she's encouraging everyone to do the same. I decided that since people had been so good to me, I’d at least try to spend this birthday helping others. I gave myself a whole week to do it, instead of just packing it all in to one day, and my acts of kindness aren’t nearly as impressive as hers, but at least it’s a start.

So, to all those who have been so generous to my family and me, this birthday is dedicated to you! Here are my 27 acts of kindness for my 27th Birthday!

1- I babysat my siblings’ kids so that they could go on a date.

2- We took little bouquets of flowers to two ladies. (By the way, if you want to do this, the week right after Valentine's Day is a perfect time---all the flowers are REALLY inexpensive!)




3- We took a gift card to the sister missionaries.





4- Lindsay outgrew her diapers, but we had over 100 left, so instead of saving them for the next kid, we gave them to two new moms.

5- We gave a treat to the garbage man--he even let Matt sit in his truck and pull the loud horn!



6- We made a double batch of soup and took some to a girl who has been sick.


7- I had a gift card to an auto shop. I had Matt give it to a person inside, and they thought it was so nice that they gave Matt a sucker!

8- Matt took a treat to the recycling man.

9- We left a treat in the mailbox for the mailman.

10-We left quarters for someone to do their laundry. (I think that was my first time in a laundromat)
11-We made cookies for some neighbors.

12-We took some cookies to the police station--they gave Matt and Lindsay badges!


13-We gave a box of donuts to two bus drivers--they let Matt sit on the bus, and he LOVED it!


14- I made chili for 50 people (the scouts and their parents)
15- I ironed all of Darin's work shirts!!

16- We left quarters at the car wash.


17- I asked my bagger at the grocery store what her favorite candy bar was, and the I gave it to her has we were leaving.

18- I took a treat to a neighbor that was having a bad day.

19- I brought in my neighbor's garbage can.

20- I made cupcakes for my cousin who just came home from his mission (and I thought they turned out pretty cute too).


21-We took a box of donuts to the fire department--they let Matt sit on the fire truck, gave him a little tour, and gave Matt and Lindsay hats.


22- We got some gifts for the parents and kids at Primary Children's Hospital.


23 to 27- I want these to remain secret--hopefully no one will find out about these :)

And, there you have it! It made for a busy, and fun birthday week!

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow! What a great idea! What a great way to have your kids experience service. I'm sure they had a blast while doing it too!

The Johnson Family said...

What an awesome idea! I might do that for my birthday this year:)

Amy said...

We are way too much alike! That's on my to-do list for my next birthday too! You'll be seeing mine in July. Happy Birthday!

Stacy said...

I love this idea! I may have to o this for my birthday in a couple of weeks. :)

Stephanie Lee said...

You are too cute Haylee! What a great idea. And what a great example to your darling kids. Hope you're doing well!

Stephanie Lee said...

You are too cute Haylee! What a great idea. And what a great example to your darling kids. Hope you're doing well!

Ioana said...

That is such an amazing idea!!! Do you ever run out of energy??? lol Happy B-day!

Emily said...

You're amazing Hayle-storm. I texted you on your birthday, but I'm not sure if I have your right number. Just know I was thinking of you and happy 27th on the 27th!! Pretty spesh!

DeAnna Packer said...

Oh you Darling Girl.
Got us ALL wanting to do RAOK!!!
Love you Sweet... Aunt DeAnna