Friday, January 21, 2011

The Birth of Baby Lindsay










First of all, we are so THRILLED beyond words that this little baby is here!! She is absolutely beautiful and an absolute sweetheart! Getting her here was a little more difficult than I had anticipated but she is definitely worth it!!

Contractions began around 1:00 am but they were about an hour apart. By 7:00am they were constantly 12 minutes apart and stayed that way until about noon. Around 1:00 I went to my sister Heather’s house for some lunch and a walk. That walk did it!! By 2:30 I was having strong contractions 5-6 minutes apart! I called Darin to come home from work. He picked me up at 3:00 and we went home to grab our things. I was going to take a shower but by the time I got home my contractions were about 3 minutes apart.

We hurried to the hospital and when I got to the frong desk I said calmly, "hi, I'm in labor." I don't know why but Darin and I couldn't stop laughing about that. When they checked me I was dilated to an 8 almost a 9. They told me that I was close enough that I should just go natural…my answer…NO WAY!! Well, I guess when you wait too long you don’t get much say in the matter. The anesthesiologist attempted to give me the epidural THREE times but the contractions were just too close together and it was time to push!

Lindsay was still really high even though everything else was ready so Dr. Ward broke my water hoping she would come down quickly. He wanted to wait for 10 minutes but I was in so much pain that he wanted to get the baby out sooner. She was turned the wrong way so Dr. Ward turned her (painful!!) then used the vacuum THREE times (also painful), then finally he gave me an episiotomy and used the forceps then she was out! I have a lot of friends and family that are pro natural birth--my hat off to you!! I NEVER EVER want to do it that way again!! I am definately a fan of having minimal pain!

At 6:08pm Lindsay Gunnerson was born at 7 lbs 14 oz and 20 inches long! She was absolutely gorgeous!! Everyone thinks that she looks just like Matthew but with dark hair! Matthew has had some GREAT moments with her, and a few less than great moments with her, but I think that he is doing pretty good! When we got home he wanted to show her every single one of his toys. It was really cute! He also kept saying “I wanna hold it.” Now he refers to her as Lindsay instead of “it.”

Thanks for all the help, thoughts, and prayers of our wonderful family and friends!! We love you all so much!!

23 comments:

The Gunnerson Family said...

Oh wow Haylee, you are a trooper! That definately doesn't sound like an experience I would like to have. I am perfectly fine with getting started and knowing just how everything is going to go! Congratulations on the beautiful baby, always worth it in the end.

Bridget said...

Holy Moly! She is beautiful! I am way proud of you for making it through sans meds. Way to go.
Emily, my sister, had her baby the morning after you with a similar experience. Her epidural stopped working right when she got to transition and it was time to push. Yikes!
I am so happy for you, and glad that she made it her safe and sound and you didn't have to have a c-section.
We love you guys! Our little one is excited to come out and meet Lindsay!

Amanda and Paul said...

you are my hero! congrats! she is beautiful...and look at all that hair.

Nate and Janie said...

Yay! I'm so glad you posted pictures. She is gorgeous! I LOVE all her hair and the bows in it. She is so beautiful! I can't wait to meet her. Love you guys!!

Eliza said...

I went natural with two out of my three kids' births but I had spent their entire pregnancies preparing for that mentally and physically. I'm not sure I'd have been able to if that was not something I had wanted and planned for. But it sounds like you were amazing (no surprise!), my mom had to have her doctor turn one of her babies and she said it was the most painful of the 8 births she had.

And oh my goodness, Lindsay is beyond adorable! I hope the adjustment to two kids is easy and smooth for you. Thinking of you and your cute family. Enjoy her newness :)

Ioana said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! She is adorable!!!!! And good job, Haylee!!!

Angie and J.D. said...

Thanks for sharing that! I can't believe how intense it was. Can't wait to catch up and meet this sweet little girl! She looks so sweet, but there's nothing like holding a newborn... can't wait to meet her!

lori said...

Oh MY!!!! I just happened on to this blog of our NEW, ADORABLE LITTLE LINDSAY!

Welcome into the world, Lindsay. And bravo to you Haylee...Sounds like your second birth experience wasn't that marvelous. So happy you had a PRIZE for your efforts.

Love to all!!!! Aunt DeAnna

Rosalee said...

She is beautiful! I am seriously impressed by the amount of hair your babies have. I hope things are going well at home. Congratulations!!!

Jadi said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures!! What a beautiful baby. I LOVE her hair.
I am SO SORRY to hear about your labor experience. That sounded awful!! I am glad it was all worth it in the end. I hope the next one goes better.
We are dying to see her. The kids really want to come see her too so we are hoping to make it up there this weekend if possible. We will definitely call first.

Natasha said...

Congratulations!!! She is a cutie. I definitely agree that she looks like Matthew, but with dark hair. Two cute, cute kids!

KYoho said...

She is beautiful! You're going to love having a baby girl with lots of hair to accessorize! I can't wait to meet her and am so happy for you guys.

goyuix said...

Becca says don't forget to change the title of the blog to include her!

Annie said...

Oh Haylee! Congratulations! She is so beautiful! I agree she looks so much like Matthew. I love her hair! Oh, I want to see her! Wow naturally! That makes me nervous! That happened recently to one of my other friends. I do NOT want to feel that pain! I'm glad it all worked out. I hope you can recover quickly and that Matthew will continue loving his little sister.

Shauna said...

Way to go Hay! She is beautiful!!! And does look like Matthew. Congratulations!!! We are so so happy for you guys and I'm excited to meet her.

Lisa said...

Congratulations!! She is perfect! Glad you guys are doing great! We need to do something soon!! :)

Adam and Cami said...

Wow! That's quite the adventure you had! But way to go! You are amazing! I'm glad she is here! She is seriously so beautiful! You have the cutest little family! Congrats!

Mandee Monson said...

Congratulations Hay! She is beautiful! I can't believe you delivered her naturally! You are amazing and what a darling baby girl you have. She looks so much like Matthew already. Good luck with everything. We are so happy for you and Darin.

Kristy said...

Dear Lindsay,
Welcome to the family! I am so excited to have a new little girl cousin to play with when I get big enough to play. My mom and dad said you are absolutely beautiful. I was so I didn't get to meet you because of my stuffy nose. I heard you have amazing hair. I have cried myself to sleep every night since you have been born...I don't have a lot of hair yet. Will you share yours with me? Just teasing. I love you lots!
Love,
Eliza

Amy said...

Congrats!!! She's beautiful. I know exactly what you mean with the "going natural". I hope to never do that again. It was not a very pleasant experience. Hope you recover quickly!!!

Katie Hagen said...

haylee-
she is sooo precious, congratulations! i'm w/ you on the pain management- sorry it didn't work out that way. sounds like it was intense and fast!
brad (my husband) keeps referring to our babies as "it" and i'm really hoping once they're out it will be obvious he should be saying "she" and "her"...

Sarah said...

At least in these pictures I think she is pure Hodgekinson! Or Welling? Whatever...she looks like your mom! Congrats and good luck! She's adorable!

Nancy said...

Oh boy. What an amazing and awful lot of pain you went through! She's totally beautiful. Good job, Mother Haylee!